Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers – strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength ~ Barbara Katz Rothman
When a baby is born (be it the first or subsequent!) a new family is born – and as well as an exciting and a very special time it can also look a bit hectic and intense. As your postnatal doula I’ll focus on helping you make a smooth transition into motherhood.
Nuria has a wonderful energy and presence, just being around her made me feel relaxed, at ease and that gave me permission to step away from my son for a more needed nap or a much longed time for shower or meal ∼ Rebecca, Windsor
An extra pair of hands for light duties around the house, and/or looking after the baby, a listening shoulder – I will come to your home and help you in the way you feel would benefit you the most, and offer warm and relaxed guidance and non judgemental support.
I can also offer breastfeeding support and babywearing advice if needed (I’m a certified babywearing consultant with the School of Babywearing).
But above everything my main aim is to offer you reassurance and encourage you to follow your inner instincts – YOU are the best mother for YOUR CHILD.
- Mothering the mother: this is the main role of a postnatal doula. This can be done by doing the things listed below or simply by being a listening ear.
- Newborn care and concerns: bathing, feeding, development, parenting,…
- Infant feeding support: whether you choose to breast or formula feed, or both! If you wish to breastfeed and need any support, I can provide it to you and point you out in the right direction should you require further help.
- Babywearing advice: if you are interested in knowing more about slings I can offer you advice and support on how to safely babywear your newborn.
- Light domestic task: cooking, tidying, washing, light shopping,…
- Older children: I can help you with your older children, so you can spend time with your newborn or the other way round!
- Time for you: I can take care of your baby and/or older children while you get a bit of time for yourself (so you can have a rest, shower or just time on your own)
- Going for a walk: I can accompany you on your first outings with the baby
- Telephone support
As your postnatal doula I usually offer 3 hour sessions in the mornings and I can also offer overnight support.
We hired Nuria as our postnatal doula to help care for our twins, born last year. Looking back, I don’t think we would have coped without her! She helped us with everything, from feeding and bathing them, to babywearing, and doing endless rounds of laundry – and all while creating a calm and positive atmosphere. She then continued to support us for a period of several months while we organised permanent childcare, during which time we had the pleasure of also meeting Grace, who stepped in on any days Nuria was away. Thank you Nuria and Grace! ∼ Emily, Maidenhead
Please contact me for a free initial meeting so we can discuss your needs and wishes and you can get an idea if I am the type of doula you are looking for. You may find useful to read Help with finding a doula in the Doula UK website 🙂
Nuria is very knowledgeable and reassured me when I was in doubt or feeling stressed or worried. She kept constant contact with me what made me feel less alone in this adventure of single parenting. Nuria is a very sweet woman, soft spoken, always in good mood, willing to help and do something extra for me to feel she is always there. She was very empathic with my feelings and mood ∼ Ana, Reading
If you are struggling financially but would benefit from a doula, have a look at the Doula UK Access Fund. It covers the expenses of Doula UK doulas volunteering to work with local clients in financial hardship, enabling those on a low income to have the support of a doula.
I chose Nuria as my postnatal doula due to her very gentle approach and calm manner with the babies. I felt happy that the babies were being looked after by someone so calm and attentive which enabled me to relax when they were in her care. I always found her advice regarding breastfeeding thoughtful and relevant. ∼ L.C.T., Reading (overnight support)